What if a report involved a juvenile (under 18 years of age)?

Juvenile information includes any document relating to juvenile contacts and arrests, including being a victim of any crime. Access to juvenile court records is limited in accordance with the California Rule of Court 5.552 and Welfare and Institutions Code Section 827. Release of juvenile information requires the authorization of the Presiding Judge of the Juvenile Court.

Parents of a juvenile may receive a copy of certain types of reports (i.e. traffic collision reports). Availability of these records is restricted to court personnel, the minor, parents or guardian, attorneys involved in the case, and other persons designated by statute. All others will need to petition Juvenile Court directly for the release of that record.

Show All Answers

1. How can I be sure to receive the records that I want?
2. Can I access any record held by the Police Department?
3. Do I need to show identification to make a public records request from the Police Department?
4. How soon will I receive a response to my request from the Police Department?
5. What if I was arrested?
6. What if a report involved a juvenile (under 18 years of age)?
7. When may I inspect public records at the Police Department?
8. May I obtain records in electronic format?
9. What are the fees to inspect records and for copies of records that I request?