Vehicle Impounds/Tows

Vehicles towed under the authority of the Chino Police Department

If your vehicle was towed under the authority of the Chino Police Department, the Registered Owner MUST obtain a release for the vehicle. Without a release, from the Chino Police Department, the tow company will not release the vehicle.

In order to get a vehicle released, the following conditions must be met:

  • You must be the registered or legal owner of the vehicle;
  • The vehicle must be currently registered with the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV);
  • You must have a valid driver's license or bring a licensed driver with you, and you must provide a valid state or federal issued ID if you do not have a valid driver’s license; and
  • A vehicle release fee of $202 may be required. NOTE: Additional tow charges will be required by the tow company.

Vehicles towed by private parties

Private Property Tows: If your vehicle was towed by a private party, a release from the Chino Police Department IS NOT REQUIRED for the tow company to release the vehicle. Contact the company that towed the vehicle. This is a civil matter, and as such, the Registered Owner must work with the tow company or property owner to resolve the matter.

Repossessed Vehicles: If the vehicle was repossessed in the City of Chino, the Registered Owner may contact the Chino Police Department to obtain a Repossessed Vehicle receipt. The fee for issuance of the Repossessed Vehicle receipt is $15.

Should you have any questions as to whether a release may be required to retrieve your vehicle, please contact the Records Unit front desk at 909-334-3001.

Disputing an impound

Pursuant to Section 22852 of the California Vehicle Code, you have the right to an administrative hearing to determine the validity of the storage. The registered or legal owner of the vehicle, or their agent(s) may request a tow hearing (also referred to as an impound hearing). During a tow hearing, the tow hearing officer will review the information known to the Department at the time of the tow and determine if the tow was authorized per California Vehicle Code (CVC) Section 22852.

To request a Tow Hearing at the Police Department, please contact the Tow Hearing Officer at 909-334-3231 or by e-mail at If you request a hearing, one will be conducted within 48 hours of the request, excluding weekends and holidays.


If your vehicle was towed/impounded under the authority of the Chino Police Department, a fee of $202 applies to all vehicle releases. This fee may be paid in cash or by credit or debit card. In limited cases (e.g. recovery of a stolen vehicle; driver incapacitated as a result of a traffic accident) this fee may be waived.

NOTE: Additional tow charges will be required by the tow company. The Registered Owner of the towed vehicle is responsible for all towing, storage, lien, and release fees. Tow companies will generally accept cash, personal checks or credit cards as a form of payment. Please contact the tow company for the exact amount of their charges and their accepted methods of payment.

FAQ'S- Towed/Impounded Vehicles

“Why was my car impounded with a 30-day hold?”

California Vehicle Code Sections 14602.6 and 14602.7 authorize law enforcement agencies to impound vehicles for up to 30-days when driven by individuals with no driver’s license, a suspended license, or a revoked license. The 30-day impound begins on the calendar day the vehicle is impounded. The vehicle will be released after the 30-day period (to the registered owner or designee with proper authorization) during normal business hours.

"Why am I responsible when I wasn’t driving the vehicle?"

California Vehicle Code Section 14604 states that “No owner of a motor vehicle may knowingly allow another person to drive the vehicle upon a highway unless the owner determines that the person possesses a valid driver's license that authorizes the person to operate the vehicle.” As the registered owner, you are responsible for anyone who drives your vehicle; whether it be a relative, friend, or acquaintance. If your vehicle was taken without your permission, you must file a stolen vehicle report and the person will then be charged with a crime and may be arrested.