Property and Evidence

The Property and Evidence Unit is responsible for receiving, storing, tracking and disposing of all property and evidence booked at the police department. "Property" is considered items held for safekeeping and/or found property.

Property is released by appointment only, Tuesday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. To schedule an appointment, please contact the Property and Evidence Unit at (909) 334-3233. Please be sure to have your case number (Example 20XX-XXXXX) ready when calling for an appointment. Additionally, please note that a valid driver’s license or government identification card is required for all property releases.



 What happens to found property?

Found property is held for a period of 90 days. If the property is unable to be returned to the rightful owner, it may be offered back to the finder. Note: Property that is contraband or evidence in an ongoing investigation may be held indefinitely.

What about property held for “safekeeping?”

Property held for “safekeeping” will be held for a period of at least 60 days. Firearms held for “safekeeping” are an exception.

What happens to firearms held for “safekeeping” or evidence?

Firearms held for “safekeeping” or evidence as a result of a family problem, a violent crime or potentially violent crime or mental health issue have special requirements for release. In those cases where the Police Department has confiscated a firearm(s) or other deadly weapon(s) and placed it into custody pursuant to Penal Code § 18250, a petition may be initiated in the Superior Court within 60 days of seizure to determine whether the firearm(s) or other deadly weapon(s) should be returned. A petition may be filed to extend the time to 90 days if necessary. For additional information on the firearm release process, contact the Property and Evidence Unit at (909) 334-3233.

What about all other items held as evidence?

A. In felony arrest cases: Evidence items will be held for a minimum of 60 days from the date of final disposition by the court. If the owner does not claim the items at that time, they may be disposed of or destroyed in the manner prescribed by law.

B. In misdemeanor arrest cases: Evidence will be held for 30 days from the date of sentencing and then items will be disposed of or destroyed in the manner prescribed by law.

C. If no arrest has been made and/or no suspect identified: Evidence items may be held up to one year or longer depending on the status of the case.

Can someone else pick up an owner's property?

Yes. However, the person picking up the property must possess an original signed and dated “Letter of Permission” from the property owner, stating that they have been granted permission to retrieve the owner’s property. The person should also have the police report number and a valid picture identification in the form of a California Driver’s License, a California Identification Card, or a Passport.

Example of “Letter of Permission”

Today’s Date

Chino Police Department Property and Evidence Unit,

My name is John Smith. I am currently unable to retrieve my property under police report number 20xx-xxxxxx due to being hospitalized, incarcerated, etc. I hereby give permission for my mother, Jane Smith, to retrieve my property from the Chino Police Department Property and Evidence Unit.


What recourse do citizens have if property has been wrongly released or destroyed?

If a citizen feels their property has been wrongly released or destroyed, the citizen may contact the Chino Police Department’s Professional Standards Bureau at (909) 334-3000. Upon notification, the Professional Standards Bureau will provide the necessary paperwork to file a claim against the City of Chino. Once the paperwork has been completed, the citizen must return the paperwork to the Professional Standards Bureau for processing.

How do I obtain photographs related to my case?

To obtain photographs related to your case, please contact the Criminal Investigations Bureau at (909) 334-3230 and ask for the detective in charge of your case to obtain authorization for the photographs to be released.