The City of Chino is actively monitoring the novel coronavirus (COVID-19).  The City is receiving daily reports on this subject from the State and County Health Department.

We encourage residents to follow all recommendations from the CDC as well as local advisories from the California Department of Public Health and the San Bernardino County Department of Public Health. Please visit the links below for resources and real-time information.

Trusted Sources

State of California's COVID-19 Page
California Department of Public Health
San Bernardino County Department of Public Health
U.S. Centers for Disease Control
World Health Organization
City of Chino's COVID-19 Page
City of Chino's Business Resource Page

Frequently Asked Questions

Updated 5/1/20

General COVID-19 Questions

Q: What information can you provide about COVID-19?
A: The City of Chino is looking to trusted agencies like the San Bernardino County Department of Public Health to act as the lead authority for all public health emergencies for our city. They are working closely with all jurisdictions including the California Department of Public Health and Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) to keep the community updated on new information concerning COVID-19 (Coronavirus).

San Bernardino County Department of Public Health has established a 24/7 Public Hotline for inquiries by Health Care Facilitates and General Public: 1-800-782-4264, press option 6

Additional Resources:  
San Bernardino County Department of Public Health
California Department of Public Health
Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)

Q: What do I do if I think if I have COVID-19?
A: If you think you are experiencing symptoms of COVID-19, self-isolate and please contact your primary care provider before seeking medical care.  You can also call the San Bernardino County Public Health hotline at: (909) 387-3911.

Stay home if you feel sick, even if your symptoms are mild. It’s better for you and it keeps others from getting sick, too. Do not go to work, school or public areas, and do not use public transportation.

Q: What can I do to protect myself and prevent the spread of the disease?
A: Wash your hands frequently with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, especially after going to the bathroom, before eating, and after touching your nose, coughing or sneezing. If you have no soap or water, use a hand disinfectant containing at least 60% alcohol.

Keep a minimum distance of 6 feet between you and anyone who is coughing or sneezing.
Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth.
You and the people around you must ensure that you maintain good hygiene by covering your mouth and nose with a tissue when coughing or sneezing. The tissue should be discarded immediately.

Q: Is it ok to go out in public?
A: Stay at home except for essential needs. Everyone is required to stay home except to get food, care for a relative or friend, get necessary health care, or go to an essential job. If you go out, keep at least 6 feet of distance. Learn more at

Q: Do I have to wear a face covering in public? 
A: Yes, the County Health Officer issued an order for all residents to wear face coverings while conducting essential business. Face coverings may include coverings that secure to the ears or back of the head and cover the mouth and nose. Homemade cloth ear loop covers, bandanas and handkerchiefs, and neck gaiters may be used to reduce the spread of COVID-19. Do not use surgical masks and N95 masks, which are for health care workers and emergency responders.

Q: Do I have to wear a face covering while driving? 
A: There is no need for drivers traveling alone or with members of their households to wear face coverings unless they must lower their windows to interact with first responders, food service workers or others who are not members of their household.

County Related Questions

Q: How many confirmed cases are in San Bernardino County and in what cities?
A: You can see the cities of the confirmed cases on the County’s dashboard at The dashboard works best with a desktop, using Chrome, Firefox or Safari web browsers.

With evidence that there is community spread of COVID-19, no matter where cases are confirmed, all residents should continue to practice good public health hygiene and follow state and county order and stay home, especially if you are sick.

Q: When is the next drive-thru testing event being held?
A: San Bernardino County is actively updating and announcing drive thru testing opportunities as they become available. Visit for updates. If there is not a testing event currently available, call your healthcare provider for information about testing. Your doctor will determine if you have signs and symptoms of COVID-19 and whether you should be tested.

Q: Do I still need to report for jury duty?
A: The San Bernardino Superior Court has temporarily closed most courthouses, effective March 17. Please visit for more information.

Q: Are Women, Infants and Children (WIC) services still available?
A: The San Bernardino County Department of Public Health WIC offices are close to the public until further notice but are providing services by phone.
If you would like to make an appoint, call 1-800-472-2321 or visit for more information.

Chino Related Questions

Q: How many confirmed cases are in Chino?
A: You can see the cities of the confirmed cases on the County’s dashboard at The dashboard works best with a desktop, using Chrome, Firefox or Safari web browsers.

Q: What programs, or events have been cancelled, postponed or modified?
A: All spring programs and classes have been canceled, and summer registration is postponed until further notice. Visit to see a comprehensive listing. For a list of at-home activities, visit our Virtual Recreation page here. 

Q: What is the status of upcoming rentals at a City facility?
A: All facility rentals are cancelled. Renters will be given the choice to cancel with a refund or reschedule. Pavilion and field rentals are also being cancelled until further notice. Reservations for future use are not being taken at this time.

Q: Are schools closed in the City of Chino?
A: The Chino Valley Unified School District  directed the closure of the district’s 35 schools,  beginning Monday, March 16, 2020 through the end of the school year. For more information from the Chino Valley Unified School District, visit their website.

Q: Are parks closed in the City of Chino?
A:  Parks remain open but please remember to maintain a physical distance of at least 6 feet between yourself and others.  As of May 1, the parking lots and tennis courts are open. 

Public playground equipment and basketball courts remain closed.

Q: How will the City be providing updates?
A: The City will continue to utilize the website, social media and/or email blasts as information becomes available.

Q: How do I pay for my utility bill?
Visit, call 909-334-3264 or use one of the drop boxes at City Hall located at the east entrance or west parking lot.

Q: Will you continue with “one on one” counseling appointments?
A: One on one counseling sessions are continuing by telehealth for current and new clients. If you are in need of services, please call 909-334-3259 and you will be referred to a partner agency.

If you are in a crisis and need to speak to someone immediately, please the Disaster Distress Helpline availabe 24/7 and speak to a trained crisis counselor who can support you or someone you care about. Call 1-800-985-5990 or text ‘TalkWithUs’ to 66746.

Q: Are any local stores offering hours dedicated to senior shopping?
A: Yes, the following local grocery stores are offering special hours for our senior residents:

Grocery Stores offering Senior Hours
12013 Central Ave
Senior Hours 7:00am-9:00am, M-F

3840 Grand Ave
(855) 955-2534
Senior Hours 8:30am-9:30am, Tuesdays & Thursdays

Clark’s Nutrition & Natural Foods Market
12835 Mountain Avenue
Senior Hours 8:00am – 9:00am

4024 Grand Ave
Senior Hours 9:00am-10:00am, M-F

12101 Central Ave
(909) 591-3911
Senior Hours 8:00am-9:00am Tuesdays & Wednesdays

Dollar Tree
11975 Central Avenue
Special Hours for senior, individuals with pre-existing health conditions, and pregnant women. 8:00am -9:00am Monday – Saturday and 9:00am. – 10:00am on Sundays

Sam's Club
3951 Grand Ave
(909) 548-6173
Senior Hours: 7:00am-9:00am on Tuesdays and Thursdays
Smart & Final
12164 Central Ave,
Senior Hours: 7:30am-8:00am

Stater Bros.
6989 Schaefer
Opens at 7:45am for senior shopping

Stater Bros.
4721 Riverside Dr
Opens at 7:45am for senior shopping

Superior Grocers
12375 Central Avenue
Senior Hours 7:00am – 8:00am

5555 Philadelphia Street
Senior Hours 8:00am - 9:00am Wednesdays Only

3944 Grand Ave
Senior Hours 8:00am - 9:00am Wednesdays Only

12490 Central Ave
(909) 464-9520
Senior Hours 8:00am-9:00am

3943 Grand Ave
(909) 364-1968
Senior Hours 6:00am-7:00am

Additional City Services:
The Senior Center is closed to the public but staff are available to answer phone calls at 909-334-3271, Monday-Friday 8am-5pm.

Senior lunch and medical transportation assistance:
Chino Senior Center staff members are delivering 5 frozen meals (provided by Family Service Association) and an additional care package with food staples to registered seniors. Seniors must be 60 years or older. To register, please call the Senior Center at 909-334-3271.

The Senior Center can help with transportation to medical appointments and prescription pick-up. Medical visits must be prescheduled and are available on Tuesday and Thursday. For assistance, call the Senior Center at 909-334-3271.

Senior Wellness Checks:
Will be done via phone calls to our participants to check in, assess needs and provide resources. 

Serving Our Seniors Program
The Chino Valley Fire District, in partnership with the Chino Valley Fire Foundation, established the Serving our Seniors (S-O-S) program to enable individuals at high risk of contracting COVID-19 to self-isolate. Read the full Press Release here.

If you are a senior or a person classified as high risk living in the Chino Valley and are unable to leave your home for food, medication, or other essential services, we are here for you.

The Chino Valley Fire District asks that you call us at 909-315-8850 or email us at with your request for service.

Q: What are you allowed to do under the Stay at Home directive?
A: Californians are to stay home except to get food, care for a relative or friend, get necessary health care, or go to an essential job in one of the federal critical infrastructure sectors (
Californians can still go outdoors and take a walk, walk their dogs, pick up food, run or ride a bike, as long as they are still adhering strictly to physical or “social” distancing by staying at least six feet away from other people, regardless of the location.

Q: Where can I get information on food distributions in the City of Chino?
A: For information regarding the Isaiah's Rock food distribution, visit

For information regarding the Chino Neighborhood House distributions, visit

For information regarding the City of Chino Senior Center meal distributions, please call 909-334-3271.

Q: How can I help?
A: Visit our Chino Cares Challenge Page at for ways to donate or help in our area.

Business/Employee Questions

Q: Are there any resources for businesses?
A: Our Economic Development Division has compiled a collection of useful resources for businesses during this time. Visit for more info.

Q: Are there any state unemployment or disability benefits available if I am impacted by illness, school closure or loss of work caused by the Coronavirus (COVID-19)?
A: Yes, if you are impacted by coronavirus, you may be eligible for unemployment, disability or paid family leave.
If you’re sick or quarantined after being exposed to COVID-19 (certified by a medical professional), you can file a disability insurance claim

If you’re unable to work because you are caring for an ill or quarantined family member with COVID-19 (certified by a medical professional), you can file a Paid Family Leave claim.

If your child’s school is closed, and you have to miss work to be there for them, you may be eligible to file an Unemployment Insurance (UI) claim.

If your employer has reduced your hours or shut down operations due to COVID-19, you can file an Unemployment Insurance (UI) claim.

If you've been laid off due to COVID-19, you can file an Unemployment Insurance (UI) claim.

Q: What does Executive Order N-33-20 mean by “shelter in place”?
A: Executive Order N-33-20 requires that all people living in California stay home unless employed in one of the critical infrastructure sectors (see above). To find out how long this is in effect, what is open, and what is closed, visit

Q: What are the “critical infrastructure sectors” and how do I know if my business or employer is included?
A: Executive Order N-33-20, effective March 19, 2020, directs “all individuals living in the State of California to stay home or at their place of residence.” However, individuals “needed to maintain continuity of operations of the federal critical infrastructure sectors” are exempted. Given the importance of these sectors to Californian’s health and well-being, employees in these sectors may continue to work.

There are 16 of these critical infrastructure sectors as specified by the US Department of Homeland Security at

Employers seeking to identify critical infrastructure workers should review CISA’s March 19, 2020, “Memorandum on Identification of Essential Critical Infrastructure Workers During COVID-19 Response.” The 16 sectors identified are the following:

Commercial Facilities
Critical Manufacturing
Defense Industrial Base
Emergency Services
Financial Services
Food and Agriculture
Government Facilities
Healthcare and Public Health
Information Technology
Nuclear Reactors, Materials, and Waste
Transportation Systems
Water and Wastewater Systems

The executive order additionally provides individuals with the flexibility to continue to meet basic needs. It emphasizes that “Californians must have access to such necessities as food, prescriptions, and health care.” However, the order cautions that “[w]hen people need to leave their homes . . . to obtain or perform the functions above, or to otherwise facilitate authorized necessary activities, they should at all times practice social distancing.”

Q: Are we to follow State or County guidance?
A: San Bernardino County, like many others, has issued its own stay at home or shelter-in-place order. The Governor's office has clarified how state and county orders relate, stating “This is a statewide order. Depending on the conditions in their area, local officials may enforce stricter public health orders. But they may not loosen the state’s order." Residents are to abide by the stricter of the orders.

Q: How is the order being enforced? What is the City of Chino doing to enforce the order?
A: Although the order is enforceable under Government Code section 8665, which states that anyone who “refuses or willfully neglects” to obey a lawful order is guilty of a misdemeanor and could be fined up to $1,000, imprisoned for six months or both, Governor Newsom has stated the order will likely not be legally enforced except in counties that have expressly stated to enforce their own local shelter-in-place orders. San Bernardino County is not one of these counties.

Rather than deploying safety personnel to respond to non-essential businesses that do not close, state, county and local officials are relying on social pressure and the good will of employers and the public to protect the safety of their employees and neighbors for compliance. Employers are advised that their failure to observe the orders could result in future regulatory or licensing enforcement and expose them to civil action.

Q: Does this guidance/order apply to beauty/hair/nail salons/spas/tattoo shops?
A: Yes, they are ordered to close by CDPH and are not considered an essential service.

Q: Does the guidance apply to restaurants?
A: Retail food and beverage and related service venues may remain open and offer only delivery, take out, pick up services. Dine-in services are to close. For a list of Chino businesses offering take-out and delivery options, click here.

Q: Is construction for housing an essential service?
A: Yes, construction workers who support the construction, operation, inspection and maintenance of construction sites and construction projects (including housing construction) are considered essential. As well as workers such as plumbers, electricians, exterminators, and other service providers who provide services that are necessary to maintaining the safety, sanitation, construction material sources, and essential operation of construction sites and construction projects (including those that support such projects to ensure the availability of needed facilities, transportation, energy and communications; and support to ensure the effective removal, storage, and disposal of solid waste).

Q: How can I report a business that is not closed?
A: Retail food and beverages and related service venues may remain open and offer only delivery, take out, pick up services. Dine-in Services are to close.
Please visit the County's reporting form here. The Public Health Department will be working to address non-compliant facilities.

Other Questions

Q: I don’t have access to internet or WiFi, how do I get access to connect for school/work?
A: Charter Spectrum is offering free wifi to K-12 and college student households for 60 days. The phone number to enroll is 1-844-488-8395. Installation fees will be waived for new student households. For eligible low-income households without school-aged children, Charter continues to offer Spectrum Internet Assist, a low-cost broadband program delivering speeds of 30 Mbps.

Q: I have a renter/landlord issue?
A: Please contact Inland Fair Housing Mediation Board (IFHMB) for assistance with renter and landlord issues at or call 909-984-2254 and leave a message.

Q: Where can I report stores that are raising their prices on groceries?
A: To report fraud such as price gouging contact the San Bernardino County District Attorney at 909-382-7748.