The City of Chino invites qualified and motivated individuals to join its team of well-trained professionals who are committed to providing quality service to those who live, visit, and do business in Chino.
- All notifications, including interview and testing invites, are sent electronically. Be sure to monitor your email account (including spam folders) to check for important recruitment updates and notifications.
- Applications may be rejected if they are incomplete.
- A resume may be attached to your application but may not be submitted in lieu of an online City application.
- All potential employees are required to undergo a criminal history review and a pre-employment physical examination and drug screening prior to being hired. The City supports a drug-free workplace.
- For positions requiring a Typing Certificate, please refer to our Typing Certificate Requirements page.
Special assistance with the application and examination process is available, upon request, for persons with disabilities.
Recruitment & Hiring Process
- Only completed applications are reviewed by Human Resources and the hiring department, and the most qualified applicants are selected for testing and/or an interview.
- Testing may include a written exam, an oral exam and/or a practical (demonstration) exam, depending on the position.
- Interviews generally consist of a formal panel, with 2 to 3 individuals serving as raters.
- Candidates are notified of test and interview results by email.
- Candidates who pass their test and/or interview are placed on an eligibility list which is sent to the hiring department for further consideration.
- Finalist/second interviews are then done by the hiring department to assist in making their final selection.
- Human Resources begins the hiring and onboarding process.
- Upon selection of a candidate, previous and current employment is verified. Higher education degrees and/or required certifications are also verified as part of the hiring process. Professional references may also be contacted.
- A background check and formal review is conducted for certain positions within the Police Department.
- Upon successful completion of the above steps, a Conditional Offer of Employment will be presented. This Offer will outline the exact title and salary that the candidate is being offered.
- Upon acceptance of the Offer, the candidate will undergo a criminal fingerprint check and Pre-Employment Physical Examination, which includes a drug screen. Some Police Department positions require additional examinations, such as a polygraph and psychological examination. These examinations are used in determining the candidate's suitability for the position.
- Upon administrative review and approval, a final offer of employment is made and the hiring department will coordinate with the candidate as to the start date, reporting place and time.
- Human Resources works with candidate/potential new employee prior to start date to collect pertinent forms and coordinate onboarding process.